Cashmere care: Best tips for sweater care
We all love the feel of our cashmere sweaters, and want to preserve it for as long as possible. However, since cashmere is a very delicate fabric, it requires a special handling and care to be able to retain the softness for long years.
Cashmere sweaters can easily absorb odours and attract stains and thus, it is imperative to adopt mild washing and wearing etiquettes. In this article, we’ll guide you with cashmere sweater care tips divided under four different sections.
Follow these steps to care for cashmere sweaters.
- Do not wear your sweater immediately after spraying deodorant on your body. Wait for your deodorant to dry to prevent the fragrance of deodorants to settle down on the sweater, which can be a giant pain for you to remove later on.
- Do not spray perfume on your sweater. It can stain the sweater and invite moths.
- Do not wear one sweater for more than 2 days in a week. Let it air dry before putting in for laundry.
- Make sure you keep them away from your bags, clutches and other accessories when wearing.
- Dry cleaning is not a good idea unless you need to get specific stains removed.
- Wash your cashmere sweaters in a clean and large sink.
- Do not soak your sweaters for long in the tub. They become awfully heavy when they are filled with water.
- Do carry a wet piece of sweater by the shoulders as it will stretch the fabric.
- Always wash your cashmere sweaters in cold water. Washing in too hot water can shrink the fabric.
- Use only mild detergent or hair shampoo to wash your hair cashmere sweater. Hair shampoos are considered to be an ideal option.
- Press and gently squeeze the soapy water through your sweater. Avoid twisting the sweater hard.
- Keep your sweaters away from windows, direct sunlight and other heat sources.
- Don’t always try to remove stains yourself.
- It is advised to take your sweater for dry cleaning for special removal treatment.
- Use stain remover to treat light stains. Mix the stain remover with cold water only.
- Once the stain removal starts to penetrate, wash your sweater normally.
- Do not rub the stained areas to prevent rubbing the hole.
- Always clean your sweater before storing them.
- Make sure you do not leave any fragrance behind as it can attract moths.
- While storing your sweaters fold them with pieces of tissue to prevent wrinkles.
- You can also use a steamer to fight pesky wrinkle.
- Do not store cashmere sweaters in plastic bags. It is advised to use sweater bags that are
- Do not hang the sweaters in your wardrobe.
If you want to maintain the utility and softness of your cashmere sweaters, follow the above given cashmere sweater care tips. These tips will help you use your sweaters for many years. Since cashmere is an expensive fabric, investing in a dozen of them doesn’t make any sense, but with proper care you can increase their life.
The trick is to keep your sweaters stain-free and moth-free.